Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

little reminders....

In this "new" world I live in, I feel like it would be easy for me to get an inflated sense of self or to take things for granted.  Fortunately God is always putting little reminders in my life, to remind me to be grateful and thankful for all that I have and to remember that you never know what life has in store for you. 

When we were in Hong Kong there was a man on the street selling roses that he made by hand.  Even though his hands are not like my hands and probably not like your hands.


He had no fingers....just one thumb.  He was making roses and other little figurines out of modeling clay.  He brought tears to my eyes, (as many things do...just ask Michael) so no surprise there. ☺  But it was because it reminds me of my selfishness and how fortunate I am to have all of my fingers and I am sure I take that for granted because I have never had to live without them and  I am probably not always using them the way God would want me to.  I could be helping others and serving others more than I do.  In life, we take so many things for granted and I am thankful that God is always placing things in my life to remind me to be thankful.

Nothing irks me more than people who complain when they have so much.  And I know I am guilty of that as well.  But I make a very conscious effort to try and not do that and I think God puts people in my life like  Yi and Xiao Li and brings me across people like this man in Hong Kong to remind me to be thankful for what I have and to keep my complaints to a minimum! ☺  I bought one of the man's yellow roses to bring back to Nanjing with me so I can be reminded everyday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment