Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

What it's all about...

We have been here for just over 4 months now and I think we are settling in great.  With the grace of God I think we have avoided many of the stresses that people warned us about and not that there will be no struggles, but so far so good...nothing major.  And we both realize that it is God's loving hand watching over us and protecting us and the prayers of our friends and family back home that make this possible.

Church was the one thing that was still lacking in our daily routine but we have found one that we like.  We did not want to come to China to only surround ourselves with the familiar, which surprisingly enough is not hard to do.  Even in a town like Nanjing that has far few expats than a city like Shanghai.  But if we wanted we could just stay in our compound and eat and shop at only places that are similar to back home, but we don't.  We want to try really learn about China and part of getting to know China, a big part, is getting to know it's people.  So we really did not desire to go to an expat church.

And thankfully God led us to a church that is attended mostly by Chinese.  They have an English service, that is at times hard to understand, but we love it.  And I hope in time we are able to get to know the members and make some new friends.  We just started going there so I will keep you posted.

I grew up on "old school" hymns, so I have a soft spot for them in my heart.  We sang one today in church and I just wanted to share the lyrics because they really spoke to me and I hope I can live them out in my life.

Living for Jesus a life that is true, 
Striving to please him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance glad hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

Living for Jesus who died in my place, 
Bearing on Calvary my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call, 
Follow His leading and give Him my all

Living for Jesus wherever I am, 
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss 
Deeming each trial a part of my cross

Chorus

O Jesus Lord and Savior I give myself to Thee;
For thou, in Thy atonement, Didst give Thyself for me; 
I own no other Master, My heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give hence forth to live, O Christ for Thee alone

Thomas O. Chisholm (1917)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful hymn! Glad you're liking the church. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete