Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

a new adventure indeed....

I got myself a new gig.  The above picture shows what I will be doing.  I will be helping prep students who want to go to college in the United States, both undergrad and grad school.  I will be prepping them in United States History!

Maybe many of my friends and family are reading this post laughing, feeling scared for my future students or thinking this is just plain crazy.  And I feel/felt the same way, believe me.  I had been approached by wife of one of Michael's co-workers when we first moved here asking if I was interested in working.  She and her husband are Chinese by birth, so they both speak the language.  When her husband came here to work she opened her own company doing test prep for Chinese kids wanting to go to college in the U.S.

When she approached me months back, I was reluctant because I just did not think my brain was up to the task.  I thought that it is a big responsibility.  And for sure I lack the confidence to teach on a subject matter such as United States History and also World History for the SAT.  I know I am not completely unintelligent. I graduated high school at the very top of my class.  I graduated college with no problem, but it has been many years and my brain has probably gone a bit mushy.  I told her I would, but maybe I was not the most qualified.  She let the matter drop, but just re-approached me a couple weeks ago asking me again if I would be interested in teaching.  It will be one on one, not a classroom setting which I think will be more comfortable for me, so I told her I would give it a try.

Michael thinks I do not give myself enough credit.  He is a good husband like that, always trying to boost my confidence.  He in no way pushes me to work here in China, but I think secretly he also knows any income I can bring in will help off set any shopping that may happen from time to time. ☺

I have taken a look at these test prep books and I for sure will have to do some studying and prepping ahead of time to bring myself up to par.  It is not going to be easy, but I think it will be a good challenge.  So I am going to give it a try and see how it goes.  Who knows I could surprise myself.  ☺ I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to be undertaking your new venture. I'm sure you will get very comfortable after a couple sessions. And hey, who doesn't need a little extra shopping money? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in you. I would love to have you as a teacher.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly! for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete