Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We're not in Kansas anymore, CoCo!

Well Coco is not in Kansas, but she is still in Michigan, so closer to Kansas than Michael and I.  She will probably be here in a week.  It is Chinese National Holiday right now, which is like 4th of July.  It is nice because Michael does not have to work until Thursday.  So we get a few days to try and settle in to our house together, which I am very thankful. 

Because it is Chinese national Holiday fireworks are going off ALL the time.  This is the land where fireworks originated after all, so I guess we should expect nothing less.  Here is a video of me watching some fireworks go off in the street.  Every time there was a loud bang the camera shakes because that is me shaking and when you hear a girl scream that is me as well because I think I got hit by one.  It was exciting! ;o)


We also went to lunch with Nathan (our realtor) and he ordered for us because it is just easier that way.  But he orders whatever.  I think he tries to order new things for us to try.  My stomach has not been doing very good adjusting to all the new food, so I have not been able to eat too much because I feel nauseous a lot of the time.  So I just ate vegetables and rice and a little fish.  Michael on the other hand ate liver, who's liver I do not know and pigeon! I for sure was not going to be able to stomach the pigeon or the liver, just thinking about it made me nauseous.  Luckily Nathan speaks english and I was able to tell him I just was not feeling well.  Otherwise it is offensive to not at least try a bite of the food. 
sorry, it is a bad picture...the pigeon is on the little plate (top right)
Things have been a bit stressful the past few days.  We are trying to get settled in our house and a lot of things still needed to be done, so there are men going in and out.  I am glad that Michael is off work until Thursdays, so I am not here by myself.  Our place is really nice, just has some quirks that were unexpected.  I cannot complain though, because God always keeps things in perspective for me.  Not too far from where we live are some really bad slums and I see the way the people are living there, pretty much in a shack.  It hurts my heart and it is a reminder to me that I have no reason to complain. 

Our internet is also not the best.  That is why my posts are so far apart.  I need our VPN to get onto my blog and sometimes it is working, sometimes it is not. 

Things overall our good here so far.  It is hard getting used to the differences in food and drink.  And of course not knowing the language is frustrating.  But I am able to get out on my own once and a while and I know it is going to be baby steps until I feel really comfortable.  But I continue to praise God for the opportunity, because I think that is only making me a stronger person.  Either that or it is going to break me ;o) but I hope that is not the case. 

I definitely have not been myself here.  I hope to meet some friends soon at Masterland, but have been a bit unmotivated to get out and about.  When Michael goes back to work, I think I will try and connect with some people here.  So far, so good.  I will write again soon.

4 comments:

  1. I like how the guys setting off the fireworks are in suits. Super classy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aidan liked the fireworks, but was very upset that the video didn't have Kim in it... He wanted to see "Kim's video" b/c that's what I told him I was going to show him. - Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you have not been feeling well-your stomach is going through major shock at all the differences for sure! I will be praying you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you crack me up with your scream. You are loved and missed. God is with you and Michael always.

    ReplyDelete