Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

the art of gift giving...

I must really be Chinese at heart.  I say that because gift giving is an art form in China.  They are all about giving gifts.  They give when you first meet someone, when they go to parties you bring a gift for the hostess, etc...  I have always been into gift giving as well.  I think it is a way to make someone feel special or to cheer up a friend when they are down.  I think that it is an art form, so to speak.  I actually get giddy inside when I find the perfect gift for someone.  I just can't wait to give it to them.  I think that gifts do not have to be expensive or elaborate.  The best gifts definitely come from the heart and I think when they are unexpected that makes it extra special as well.  My love language is gift giving/receiving for sure! 

We had cultural training before coming to China and our trainer told us about gift giving in China and the fact that Michael should bring gifts for the people who would be on his team, as well as his Chinese counterpart, so another supervisor and also his boss.  We chose Detroit t-shirts from Detroit Manufacturing for Michael's "subordinates" (for lack of a better word.)  He got a Detroit hoodie for his Chinese counterparts and he got liquor for his boss.

In the workplace you need to give gifts according to people's role.   So Michael could not give a "better" gift to his subordinates than he would to his boss.  It is kind of weird and status driven, but also makes sense, ya know?  There are definitely more "rules" in China, or so it seems.  I guess maybe they are not rules as much as cultural norms. 

Anyway, that was a long lead up to the reason I am writing this post.  It is to share the gifts that Michael received from his supplier this week. 


some sort of "roots"  not sure yet what they are

these dried, yet not dried date type thing was pretty good    

He received the gifts that are pictured above.  One box was full of dried, yet not dried date type things.  They were ok.  Michael really liked them.  And then he received a box of "roots"?  I think they are supposed to be eaten.  They smell like dirt.  I mean when we opened a box a whole bunch of dirt actually got all over the table.  I am going to see my realtor later today to go do another inspection of our house and I am going to ask him what they are. 

So I encourage you to give someone an unexpected gift or even a card with an encouraging note on it.  Believe me, it makes you feel just as good as the person getting it.  I believe wholeheartedly  that God gives to us so that we can give to others.  And I think that  includes not just giving gifts but also giving money and the giving of our time.  As much as I try to be a good gift giver, I can still do better.  Maybe living in China will help me become an even better "giver".  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment