Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kool-aid Cake and flowers...

Sadly Michael was out of town on business all week, so he missed my first birthday in China. ;o(  He felt bad and I am used to him traveling now, but I was still a bit disappointed but I got over it. We are at the age where we do not have to celebrate on the exact day, ya know?  ;o)  And him are I are not huge birthday people, we like to just do dinner together or something like that.

But on the day of my birthday the ladies here wanted to take me out to lunch.  They were going to be picking me up, so I did not have to use our driver.  I was sitting in our office typing emails and the phone rang.  It was Yi, our driver.  I was thinking...oh no, he is calling because he wants to work today and I do not need him.  He was not getting many hours that week because Michael was gone and the drivers do like to get many hours in.  My mandarin is still bu hao (not good) ;o) so I was like how am I going to tell him.  So I was on the phone saying, in my broken mandarin, I do not need you today, but I do need you tomorrow.  He was saying ...no no no...I did not know what was going on.  Then I look out the window and see him and I was like, Oh man..he just showed up, he must really want to work.  So I run downstairs to "talk" to him with my google translate app on my iPhone ;o) and before I can start he pulls out flowers and a cake! 

Yi says...flowers from Mei Ke (Michael's name in Chinese)...cake from wo!(me in Chinese) ;o) SO cute! It was a nice surprise from my husband and from Yi.

CoCo enjoying the flowers from Michael ;o)

the Cake!

Gorgeous, right?  And it made me almost cry thinking that Yi spent his hard earned money on me.  It was SO thoughtful.  The thing about Chinese cakes are, they look Great, but the taste, not so great.  I thought this one tasted like grape Kool-aid.  One of the other ladies thought cough medicine and I think she was more on the money. 


This was the hack job I did on the cake.  It was hard to cut a slice ;o)  I was just kind of hacking away at it wherever I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment