Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Up all night in China....

Hello out there.  It is almost 5 am here in China and I am wide awake.  I have been since 4 am.  Happy Christmas Eve to me. ☺ And Happy Christmas Eve to everyone out there reading this.

I did not think I would get a chance to write while we were away, but when you struggle with mild insomnia and forget your melatonin and over the counter sleeping pills, this is what happens.  I have plenty of time before Michael wakes up to write write write away! ☺

We made it to Hong Kong and it is really awesome.  Being ruled or owned, I am not sure of the technical term, for 99 years by the British makes it a nice place for English speakers to come.  Everyone we have spoken to speaks very good English.  In Nanjing 99 % of the people we speak to do not speak English, so it is a nice change of pace. 

What is not a nice change of pace is how many people are here.  I guess Hong Kong is a popular Christmas getaway because not only is it warm here, but it is a shopping mecca.  A guy we met called it something...shopper's paradise or shopper's playground.  I can't remember, but he said it was because there is no tax here.  And in China (side note:  Hong Kong is part of China but not part of China or so I am told....I am sure you can find all the info about it on the internet)  Oh back to my point... in China or the other part of China there is a very heavy tax, so shopping here is kind of like shopping in America, but on steroids.  There are stores EVERYWHERE.  Especially the area we are staying in, it is just store after store after store.  Being the shopper that I am,  I for sure am a kid in a candy store.  Luckily I have a husband who is generous, but also manages the money, so everything is under control people. ☺

Here is a picture of the people on the street.  I know it is kind of dark, but can you see the concentration of people!  Definitely the busiest city I have ever been to.
The other nice thing about Hong Kong is that there is American food EVERYWHERE...YUM YUM!  So we had a burger for dinner but for lunch we had Sushi.  I know...not American, but we really like sushi and we have great sushi back in Detroit.  In Nanjing, not so much. 

Our first meal in Hong Kong...Nom Nom!!!  



We are both happy we came here for Christmas because it seems more like the holidays here than it did back in Nanjing.  But it still does not feel exactly the same because of course our friends and family are not here.  We miss you all very much.  And we pray that you are all enjoying this holiday season. 

Oh and lastly, Michael is getting the famous Hong Kong "suit in 24 hours."  He found a place when we got here yesterday.  By the time he found the place it was 6ish.  He picked a fabric and they measured him and said come back in an hour.  He went back and they already had the suit cut out of the fabric and ready to fit on him.  It was not nearly done, but done enough to make sure it fit and they said it would be fully done by 5pm today!  Amazing right!  And they can make stuff for woman as well.  And the price is less than probably any decent suit he could find back in the states.  If it turns out good, he already plans on coming back to get another one, maybe next holiday.  I will post pictures when it is done and I am sure it will be great.  Michael always looks good in a suit!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, that sure does look like a lot of people. Much more people than I have seen in Tokyo (although I've never been in Tokyo for the holidays).
    We joke about the "cheap (meaning inexpensive not poor quality) suit in 24 hours" here in the U.S. but people we know go to Hong Kong end up getting a suit made there. It must be really nice to have it custom fitted and made.

    Merry Christmas

    June K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Mike and Kim!

    God bless you!

    Love,
    Kelly & Jon

    ReplyDelete