Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lessons learned...

I will be heading home soon and it is weird to think that it will be over 8 months since I have been in the Unites States.  At times it feels like I just left and other times it feels as if I have been gone a lifetime.

I thought I would take this time to reflect on what I have learned so far from living here in China.
In no particular order, ☺

  1. I've learned that the technology of today makes it very easy to stay in touch with friends and family.  
  2. I've learned that stinky tofu is probably the stinkiest thing I have ever smelled in my life!
  3. I've learned that I love seeing new places and experiencing new things.  I am not afraid to get out and explore on my own, especially here in Nanjing.
  4. I've learned that having pets helps make our house a home.  We almost left CoCo behind with my parents, but I am glad we brought her.  She keeps me company while Michael travels and works long hours. 
  5. I've learned a little bit of Mandarin.
  6. I've learned that we took for granted the fresh air of Michigan.
  7. I've learned we take for granted being able to drink water out of the tap.
  8. I've learned I took avocados for granted. ☺
  9. I've learned that in the United States people just assumed I was Chinese and also in China, the Chinese people assume that I am Chinese. ☺Even when I tell them I am Korean, they tell me I look Chinese.  ☺
  10. I've learned that me and humidity are not friends.
  11. I've learned that Michael and I make a good team....his strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.
  12. I've learned that getting used to having an Ayi was much easier than I expected.  Having someone clean, cook, do laundry and anything else you can think of, makes my already easy life even easier.
  13. I've learned that getting used to a driver was much harder than expected.  With Xiao Li, she works the same hours everyday and that only varies if we go out of town and she needs to stay with the pets.  But with Yi Ning he is pretty much on call 24/7.  Because he is our main mode of transportation we have to plan more about when we will go out because we will need to make sure he has time to come and get us.  If we feel like going somewhere or need to go somewhere we cannot just jump in the car and go. Most weeks we use him 7 days a week and it makes me worry sometimes that we are taking away from his time with his family.  He always has a smile on his face and we tell him whenever he needs/wants time off to let us know, but of course he has never asked for a day off.  Having a driver is very hard to get used to.
  14. I've learned that using squatter toilets are not so bad, but always remember to bring tissue every time you go out takes some getting used to. 
  15. I have learned that eating with chopsticks all the time gives my hand a cramp.
  16. I have learned that even in a city of around 8 million people you can feel all alone.  And I've learned some days that it sucks and some days I don't mind it so much. 
  17. I've learned that not knowing how to read would really bite.  When you look at a book, a sign, a menu, etc....and you have no idea what it says, it not a good feeling.  I read "In 2011, the National Institute for Literacy estimated that 47 percent of adults in Detroit, Michigan are "functionally illiterate," And living here in China makes me realize how difficult life is when you cannot read or write.
  18. I am sure there are many other things that I have learned, but I will not bore you with anymore.  I think most of all I have learned that in 8 short months I have fallen in love with a place that I never in a million years would have thought I would have lived.  And it has made me realize that God knows what we need more than we do and we just have to trust Him.  Because He has given Michael and I the experience of a lifetime and we both feel like we have grown because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment