Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

It's on like Donkey Kong!

For the past 2 days Michael and I have had cultural training, which has been extremely helpful.  It is going to help Michael know how to be a good "Chinese" boss at work and it is helping me see what one of my challenges is going to be.  And that is to break down some walls.

I was hanging with my girl Aimee tonight and telling her about our training.  One thing our trainer pointed out is that Chinese people do not really have a problem with racism, like some Americans do.  But Chinese are very classist.  There is a very clear hierarchy of who is "above" who.  And especially since Michael and I are going to be in a city that does not have many Westerners it will be even more apparent than say Shanghai, that is more modern.

Our trainer was telling us how if we get an Ayi (maid), well actually no he is pretty much telling us that we definitely should get an Ayi.  Anywho, he was tell us there are many positive reasons, especially when we are first there, that an Ayi would be beneficial.  They will grocery shop and cook, all of which I can watch her do, so that I can learn how to do it.  And our trainer was saying that both our driver and potential Ayi can help with many other daily living things like paying utilities, which have to be paid in person at like the post office or some other government building because the government controls all of those things.  And since we do not speak Mandarin it will be difficult until we learn how.  Our trainer said those are things that our driver or Ayi can do as well, which is very helpful.  They can also show us best local places to shop, eat, get clothes tailored, etc...  So that is very useful.  It definitely made us thing that we probably will get an Ayi.

The thing I did not like is that he said that it is inappropriate for me to eat lunch with my Ayi and driver at home because of the hierarchy in China.  That I could fix my lunch or the Ayi will and then she will clean up and she can have hear lunch break and then rest.  Most of the western houses have a room for the Ayi to keep her belonging..purse, etc... And then it is very common in Chinese and other Asian cultures to rest after lunch.  For example, it will not be unusual for Michael to see his coworkers taking a short nap after lunch.

When our trainer told us that eating lunch together is not appropriate because of the different status of myself from our Ayi or driver for example, it was all I could do not to say something.  I totally understand it is a different culture and I respect that.  This is the Chinese norm.  When our trainer talks about it, it seems like no big deal.  But this idea of hierarchy is like 100% opposite of what I am about.

God has made it very clear to me in the past few years, as I was soul searching and trying to figure out what God wanted me to do with my life, that my purpose on this earth is to be a servant.  God has given me a servant's heart.  He has given me a passion for serving others, especially those people who are looked down upon in our society or people who are hurting, etc... I know that I have not been put on this earth to be anyone significant.  I was put on this earth to serve others.  I can say that I gladly accept that this is what God created me for.  I do not do it perfectly, nor do I pretend to.   And as long as I am on this earth I never will.  There are many hours I waste doing nothing, shopping, thinking about myself, sleeping, whatever....but I do try and I do have a desire to serve and volunteer.  And I praise God for His grace and mercy and patience with me.

So as much as I understand I am not going to go to China and change the class system.  I do know that in my house I can make changes.  I will eventually eat right along side my Ayi.  And I will make it clear to her that she is just as important to me as anyone else.  I don't know how this will happen.  And I know I need to be respectful of cultural norms.  But I know God will open the door when the time is right.  So my Ayi and driver might be there to serve me, but believe me I am going to serve them right back! ☺Because that is what God has called me to do.  So stayed tuned for the adventures of Kim Kim and her Ayi!
 

1 comment:

  1. I CAN NOT WAIT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT THIS KIMKIM!!!! I will want to know the names of your Ayi and Driver at some point so I can pray for them along the way!! I can only imagine the internal struggle it will be for you to respect the cultural norm when your heart is bleeding for equality and your gut is screaming to serve. I love it. Oh, the beautiful challenges and stories that are to come:)

    ReplyDelete