Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

To Ayi or not to Ayi?

Ayi in Mandarin literally means aunt, but when speaking it also means maid or housekeeper.  Not sure why, I will have to ask Michael, my language instructor.  So the title of this blog post does not exactly make sense, but you get the gist.  Michael and I have decide whether or not we are going to get an Ayi.  There really is no need for me to have one.  I am not going to working, at least not for the foreseeable future.  So I do not need anyone to help me cook and clean and really I do not want anyone to help me.  Well, really what I do not want is a stranger in my house.  I am pretty private and at times paranoid.  And our language instructor has already informed us, that it is hard to find a trust worthy Ayi and that we would for sure need a safe for our valuables.  And he also made it very clear that we not only need a safe, it needs to be bolted to the floor.  That makes me feel better. ;o)

The thing is pretty much everyone who is able to has an Ayi.  Labor is cheap in China and it is really seen as helping the local economy.  And they cook and will grocery shop, which will help me out, especially in the beginning and really I would not mind going with our Ayi, if we get one, to see how to buy stuff and what to buy.  But I am not sure if that is weird or not or maybe be uncomfortable for her, so I am going to ask my language instructor when he gives us cultural training. 

So we'll see.  It seems excessive, but also "normal" in China.  I will keep you posted because for sure if we get one, I will have many stories for my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you Kim. I am still dealing with discomfort on this issue-right now we don't have a helper and I honestly like it better that way, but I feel bad not providing a job to a girl that really needs it. I'll be praying if you do decide to get a, Ayi, that it is a good experience.

    ReplyDelete