Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Will they ever end...

As I have mentioned before we have had to get some vaccinations before we move to China.  Actually, we did not have to get any.  All of them are optional, but even though I hate shots, I hate getting sick and dying even more.

So far we had Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Tetanus and Polio.  I thought I got out of Hep B because I had it years back when I was a volunteer in a hospital, but when my doc, who is awesome (if anyone is looking), checked for the Hep B antibodies and could not find them recommended I get the series again.  It is a series of 3 shots.  I went and got my second shot today.  Overall the shots have not been as bad as I make them out to be in my head.  The pokes have been barely noticeable.  It has been so easy that when the nurse pokes me we laugh and exchange pleasantries.  Well, not today.  It burned like a marshmallow over a bonfire.  And it is never good to hear, "Oh, we got a bleeder."  That is the first time I heard that since getting shots.  Oh well, we are done for now.  We do not have to get our 3rd Hep A and B shots for 6 months.

Oh but wait, we are not done.  While in China, we went to the SOS International clinic to be introduced to our doctor.  It is a great facility and I felt very good about the care we will receive in China.  But the doc recommended MORE vaccinations.  Now we need to get Meningococcal A+C, Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies.  Yep, Rabies folks.

When we came back and talked to the doc at Michael's company,  he did not feel it was necessary.  He said we are low risk unless we pet random animals or something.  And guess what, I pet random animals.  I love animals.  Especially stray cats and dogs.  While I was in China I did pet a stray dog or two.  Actually, when I would see a cute little stray dog, I would call for them and if they did not come I would try and chase after them, so when the doctor said it was low risk unless you pet random animals, Michael was like, "Yeah, my wife needs to get the rabies shot."  He knows me well!

We do not have time to get the shots here, so we are going to get them when we go to China.  I figure it is better to be safe than sorry.  I guess you get Japanese Encephalitis from mosquitoes who go and bite a pig in the country and then come back and bite you in the city.  So for sure I am going to want to be vaccinated against that.  I'm thinking the likely hood that I will get bit by a mosquito is probably quite high.

So there are more shots to come, but I would rather get a shot than let's say RABIES!  I don't think Michael wants me to be more rabid than I already am! ☺

2 comments:

  1. "And guess what, I pet random animals." You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim! I would be the exact same way. The rabies vaccination is pretty unpleasant but you should definitely get it.

    ReplyDelete